Our attorneys employ their tested knowledge of strategies and tactics to provide immediate and effective advice to clients, including corporate buyers and sellers, merchant banks, commercial banks, investment banks and institutional investors. Participating in this dynamic management of issues, controversies and transactions are attorneys from our antitrust (competition), banking & financial services, corporate & securities, intellectual property, international law & trade, public affairs & government relations, infrastructure redevelopment & project finance, privatization, real estate, employment and litigation sections. Our attorneys have industry-specific knowledge that allows them to provide our clients with insightful and tested advice on the workings of all aspects dealing with industries such as oil and gas, automotive, manufacturing, metal, steel, petrochemicals, telecommunications, information technology, insurance, retail, utilities, energy, agriculture and banking.
Our attorneys have also provided counseling in, to name but a few, the acquisitions of Romanian petrochemical plants, tire producers, farm machinery manufacturers, cable manufacturers, telecommunication operators, packaging plants and pharmaceuticals.
Though many of our transactions would be considered large-scale, improving on today’s business climate of agile and lean competitors, we have also assisted our clients in smaller transactions, representing strategic acquisitions of core businesses and the selling-off of peripheral businesses. Additionally, our attorneys closely monitor the effectiveness of all transactions before, during and after the deal has been consummated.In the privatization arena, RMDT attorneys have overseen some of the largest acquisitions and privatizations in Romania.
Of note, RMDT has been involved in:
- RMDT participated at the privatization of the Romanian Commercial Bank (Banca Comerciala Romania), the biggest commercial bank from our country, providing assistance throughout all stages of the privatization process;
- RMDT offered assistance for the privatization of Electrica Muntentia Sud, a regional supplier and distributor of electricity;
- RMDT provided assistance throughout all stages of the privatization process of the Romanian CEC, the oldest Romanian bank;
- RMDT provided assistance during all stages of the acquisition process of Banca Romanesca, one of the most significant banks from Romania;
RMDT advised one of the world’s major telecom operators in regard to the largest foreign investment made in Romania since 1989 in the acquisition and privatization of RomTelecom, Romania’s fixed telephone service provider, including providing advice concerning the legal and regulatory issues involved in structuring the transaction and the complete due diligence examination of the company;
- RMDT assisted an Austrian energy producer active on the Romanian market during the acquisition and operation of a large number of hydro electrical power plants acquired by way of privatization from Hidroelectrica SA. RMDT provided assistance during the tendering process, the set-up of a Romanian company, assistance with the negotiation and execution of the assets sale-purchase agreements, assistance with regulatory issues in regard to the permits, approvals and licenses necessary to be obtained for the power plants, assistance with the refurbishment process of the power plants, assistance in all aspects regarding the electricity and the green certificates market, assistance with the daily operation of the power plants and of the Romanian company;
- RMDT provided assistance with the intended development of two brown field electricity projects in partnership with a state owned company in the field of electricity: tendering process, due diligence, feasibility study, assistance with drafting and negotiating the memoranda of understanding between the parties, assistance with project finance and guarantees;
- RMDT provided assistance in the privatization of Romanian petrochemical plants, tire producers, farm machinery manufacturers, cable manufacturers and telecommunication operations, packaging plants, and pharmaceuticals.
- RMDT’s privatization group has also assisted an European company headquartered in Germany in the privatization process of the main Romanian company active in the chemical field. Our Firm’s assistance particularly includes participation at the due diligence and drafting the corresponding due diligence report, preparation and submission of all required tender documents, participation at negotiations, preparation of documentation to be lodged to the Competition Council as part of the required merger notification.